layout

Monday, July 28, 2008

All that is RoCk & RoLL...with a bit of NoStaLgiA thrown in!


Here is another 'famous' Robyn & Adrien Mystery trip. It was my turn for July. So, since gas has been kicking the crap out of us. I decided to utlize the public transit system. And found some really cool things right around downtown Sacramento. Which I didn't even know excisted until I started to surf the net! We meet right downtown on K street. We had an early lunch...here at the HARD ROCK Cafe!

Here is the guy that seated us! I was so fascinated by his hair...and if anyone knows me...I will talk to ANYONE! So, there I was chatting up this 'Rock Star' and finding out what he did the night before (partied...no surprise there)when all of a sudden it hit me! Ask him to pose...and HE DID! He rocked, played right along. Loved his hair and his fun spirit!

OK...so of course, I have to show you how much this food rocked! I mean look at the burger, MAN o' Man! Now that is a serious burger friends! And since my best friend is so OPPOSITE of me and doesn't like anything BEEF...she got a serious Turkey Club! Check it out!
We walked out of there, very full and needed to walk five miles to work off that calorie intake! But WHO CARES! Gosh darn it...we are on a mystery trip! We don't hold back! We experience it all!
Well, we needed to get back on the light rail to head out to our actual mystery spot.
We mosey on over to our stop and begin to wait. And then to what would be my husband's dismay...what happens! Some guy asks ME for help! Yep...he picked the right girl! I am a sucker! I walk over and realize I am standing in front of an EX-CON who just got released a couple hours prior. The standard issue...white t-shirt and blue jeans and white sneakers and the ever present brown paper bag, containing all his worldly possessions. And when I looked up...there it is...the tatted teardrop right under his eye. What was a girl to do. So, asked what I could do for him....(hmmmm...maybe in hindsight not really the thing to ask an ex-con who hasn't seen a woman, well...in a while!) He smiled like a Cheshire Cat and gave me the once over, but me being a wise butt, just said...dude! What?! Then placed my hand on my hip looking annoyed. He then got all soft and timid and started to sound shy...WT Heck! Maybe he had run ins with women Correctional Officers...LOL! Any woo, I digress...he needed me to show him how to get a ticket. Yes, it has been that long since he has been out. Poor soul! Seemed nice enough, but kept it in the back of my mind that teardrop meant that he killed someone at some point in his criminal career. He thanked me profusely, the train came we all got on. Once on, he couldn't stop staring at me. It reminded me of those cartoons I have seen, where the dog looks at someone and sees them as a T-Bone steak. Yep...that is how I felt! LOL! It never ceases to amaze me the adventures Adrien and I have had on our mystery trips...amazing!

This is where I took us for our July Mystery Trip! It was truly fantastic and totally empty. Adrien and I were there on a Sunday, and there was almost no one there! It was glorious. We wondered around the museum as if we owned it! I for one love museums and history. So, this was a great combination. I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to get a better idea about our great state, California.

Great exhibits in this museum. Our first one that we came across had to deal with the Japanese American internment camps. This exhibit brought me to tears. It was a scary time for America...but to think we did this! I couldn't wrap my mind around it! The pictures and displays were haunting...and still resonant in my mind.

The pictures depicted what these Americans experienced on a daily basis.

Here is a photo depicting Ronald Reagan signing over a bill that passed, that would reimburse these hurt Americans and their families, years later! Almost all lost their land and farms and stores. And all that was precious to them. Even though they were tested like this...they still LOVED AMERICA! Truly amazing exhibit.

Then there were fun, uplifting exhibits as well. This was about the dogs used in service. Rescue and otherwise.



And as everyone knows by now...I am really into all types of ART! Here is some that was painted on the ceiling in one exhibit hall. Truly fantastic and can you image laying on your back with your arms in the air for hours at a time to paint this mural?



Then came to some local neighborhood history! This place is where all the lobbists would come gather and exhange notes and such! It was a fun place I hear and great cheap food! Love the derby hat! And here is Adrien enjoying some of the old booths and items from the cafe!

I am going to post some random photos of the museum as there are so many great things to see! I highly recommend coming and experiencing this musuem on your own accord. From A to Z this museum has it. Anything to do with California, it is in there. Art from one corner of the building to the other. Inspiration from one corner to other. Truly a gem in downtown Sacramento.





Then we came to (I think) one of the more interesting parts. I will let the photos do the talking!




Then we 'mickeyed' around once done with the whole tour of the musuem. They had 3 huge Mickeys in the little sitting area part of the museum where you could kick back and take a break.


Then we hopped back on to light-rail to get a cool, creamy treat! Now, this was worth waiting for!


Well, there it is! Our July Mystery Trip. A bit long but aleast there were a lot of photos...right?! Keep the peeps entertained as they scroll down the long, wordy post! LOL! It was fun. And an INexpenisive way to spend a Sunday with my best friend. Whom I just enjoy getting caught up in anyone of our adventures.
With much love,

33 comments:

Leah said...

Wow, Robyn, you guys are such adventuresses. I have been so inspired by your posts on your mystery trips, they look like so much fun. I really want to try this myself. There's so much I've never done in NYC, even though I've spent my whole life here. And we have great public transportation (well, it's sweaty and crowded with plenty o' crazy people, but it goes EVERYwhere).

And I LOVED the story of you and the ex-con.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn,

Great chronicle of your mystery trip. I want to go to a yogurtopia!!! YUM!!!


BTW: Be There or Beware
http://wildonioncafe.blogspot.com/2008/07/be-there-or-beware.html

XO
RC

Walker said...

I have always said that if you want an adventure there is one if everyone’s back yard but you have to go out there and find it.

Great pictures of your little adventure.
Yeah ex con looking for directions for a ticket up your leg.
The teardrop thing is a dickhead symbol for people who are more important in their heads than they are in real life.
Now if he could stand on his head, drink a glass of water and pee at the same time like a Picasso designed water fountain I’d give him a dollar.

That burger look like an exhibit to, turkey’s ok but thick burger rocks, especially if it’s covered with mushrooms and cheese.
Now I’m hungry.

There are a lot of things many of us are not proud of especially how we treat our own even if they are of a different color or creed.
We are young to this earth and still have a lot to learn and atone for but the most important part is that we are learning even if it’s slow.
Once we were cave people now we are confused because we are fighting our animal instincts with our conscience
Tomorrow we will find a common cause to bring us all together and the world will be on the same page.
Until the Vulcans arrive that is and we have to start the whole freaking cycle again when we find out the universe is bigger than the earth.
God I hope there is no reincarnation.

Hey look , your shoe laces are untied

Stacy's Shabby Shoppe said...

Robyn ~ what a great story and adventure! I thoroughly enjoyed this post...especially the ex-con story. Too hilarious! It just goes to show that you can find something interesting to do no matter where you live. Perhaps I will have to start going on my own mystery trips here in Salt Lake. Sounds like fun! ~Stacy~

Anonymous said...

You two have some of the best trips. I wanna go...
Hugs,
Randy

The Mistress said...

No one can make a decent club sandwich in the city I live in.

I must go to Sacramento!

~Kristen~ said...

Looks like another great mystery trip!!! It is so awesome that you and Adrian are able to share these times together. What an amazing friendship you girls share!!!

Natasha Burns said...

What an adventure you had! I'm still drooling over the food!

Junie Moon said...

I love reading about your mystery trips; they are always so much fun. And the adventures you have--oh my, some are pretty scary (like the recently released felon). I did not know that about the tear drop tattoo. It was very gracious of you to help him despite what he represents.

Megan said...

I have to go back and look further.

Suzanne said...

Damn I had fun!!!! As a veggie, I did notice you killed a cow and a turkey. Jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz. Knock it off. What am I going to do with the two of you? *Hops back on PPT and heads to Wild Onion for treats and a look at IV's bare butt!*

Rebecca said...

HOW FUN!! I love your mystery trips! The museum looks interesting, I need to get out and soak up some culture I think LOL

xoxoxo

Queen Goob said...

What an awesome time you guys had!!!! I can't wait to spend a week with my high school best frined starting Sunday...YEAH!

Joyce's Journey said...

Just came across your blog. I love the mystery trips!! What a great idea! I must go and read back about your other adventures. It was a pleasure to meet you!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

What a fabulous adventure!!
Have an awesome day!
Blessings,
Sandy

Julie said...

What a great post! Our answer to the high gas prices has been much of the same... to get on our motorcycles and venture off to see the small towns in our area. I now have a new favorite antique store. We found a winery just 5 miles from our farm that hosts free concerts on Sunday evenings and even some new hilly back roads we had never explored...all because the price of gas got so high!

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Robyn

So glad you popped by for a visit. I hope you'll come again...you're always welcome.

I've had a fun time here too. What fun to do mystery trips. Hmmmm....you've given me a fun idea for my friends.

Hugs!
Kat

Rosemary said...

Wow,
I tell you Robyn, you do the coolest stuff.
Glad you share them with us!
While I am at home glittering, I can live through your trips.
I think my favorite name is yogurtopia!!
Have a great day!
Rosemary

Jessi Nagy said...

what a fun trip.
i love the hard rock. so fun.
and you know im going crazy over that babrie photo.
yummy!!
and the yogurt.
mmmm!!
what a fab day!!
oxoxo,
jessi

INNER VOICES said...

so here i am commenting again!!! if you were to start commenting back to us you might notice that ive been here for you last many posts....


meh.... hahahahahaaa.



yet another cool photo montage with posting! looks like a fun day in the life of robyn!!!

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Robyn,
what fun!
Love your mystery trips..... what a cool idea!

Hugz, Dolly

Trooper Thorn said...

What a cool blog posting site. I love the esoteric sightseeing travelogue.

Pwoplw should post pics from their own local museums across the country.

Thanks for your comments about Mom Insulting Text Messages.

Suzanne said...

I have to go because life is busy today, but just want to say this is too funny. I read all the comments and I swear to God, the new comers must just freak at some of the old times comments!!! Oh God...I can hardly wait for them to become old times. And some of the very sweet blogger must just cringe. Yikes!!! That's gotta hurt.

It took 20 minutes to get to the park today now that the 5 is open. I liked it when it was closed. 80 was a dream. Can't you throw down some spikes or some thing? And honey, when you're in the area, let me know and I'll see if I can spare some time. The kitties broke out last night. Right through the screen. All are back except 4. Little bastards! Any suggestions? Life is so complicated! I'm going to come live with you and your dying tree...oh and that obnoxious Corvette guy! Make room honey!!!

Skeeter said...

Hi Robyn,

Sounds like a GREAT time! So much to see and do, and that sandwhich. Wow,they definitely don't let a person leave the store hungry.

Great images.

Best wishes,
Skeeter

Terri Steffes said...

Girl, I am coming with you on your next trip! Sounds like a doozy! Whose turn is it to plan?

Cece said...

Sounds like so much fun. The Ex con guy, sounds like something that would have happened to me too, but he probably would have asked me for the fare to buy the ticket too. We probably have one of those faces that looks kind and giving. I like museums too. And the yogurtopia, YUMMMY!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Robin, you certainly had a great mystery trip! Lots of wonderful photos and stories!

Thanks for coming by the back porch.
Pat

Naturegirl said...

Robyn you just take us on the greatest escapes! I must pack you in my suitcase when I go off to Europe in 2 weeks!!
What touched me the most in your post was your *kind heart*..shown to us by the way you helped out that poor lost soul..OK I know you said you think he is an ex con..but I'm sure you made his day by stopping & helping him out.

"Be on the lookout for the opportunity to say to yourself:
I feel good.I intend to attract more of this good feeling and I intend to give it away to any and all in need of it." hugs NG

Leah said...

Hi Robyn! I hope you're catching up on some well-deserved rest!

Robocop said...

Looks like an interesting trip. I envy you. I have been to a few Hard Rock Cafes, but none in Cali. I would love to have that pic of Ronald Reagan though. He is a Saint. The dog exhibit was touching. Overall, I enjoyed the post.

Suzanne said...

Oh, you know I could say something about Robocop, but why start another war. I'm here for the museums, frisky shops in San Francisco and Big Sur!!! Oh, and the flowers, and complete fun and stupidity!!!

I told Rob "7 back to back 12 hour shifts? He said, "What are they trying to do, kill her?" My reply, "Apparently." Then told him about your beef and getting the Union involved. His reply, swear to God, "Oh, she's so screwed!" HELLO!!! YUP!!! That's gonna hurt Robyn for a long, looooooooong, looooooooooooooong time. Good luck with that honey. The 5's open. Want me to come down and take you to lunch? I'll even buy you a meat sandwich, but don't make me look when I pay. I'll pretend I'm paying for a very expensive cucumber sushi. Hope the wasabi kicks your ass.

"911."

"Hi, I have a friend who appears to be unconscious after causing the unnecessary death of an animal and not know what wasabi is..."

Anonymous said...

what were those paper dolls? Looks like y'all had a great time! I am riding my bike this week to help save on gas and lose some weight! we'll see how far I go!! I like your mystery trip! I can't believe it's August already! where did the summer go?

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like a great trip! Makes me miss CA:( SNIFF